Wednesday, August 4, 2010

An Analysis


I feel the need to say that I won't be working on my Historical Fiction story now, maybe sometime in the near future but not now. But i do plan on getting more ideas together to make the story a bit fuller, give it more life (I've already written some notes). Today I was thinking about something that author Aprilynne Pike said on some website (I can't remember) but she said that sometimes when you get an idea for a story and get that rush of wanting to work on it right there and then, it doesn't work out so good. She also said that there is a good chance that your first idea for a novel or story won't do well when you submit the manuscript to a publisher. It all deals with your level of writing and length of time spent with your project.


My interpretation is that, i think with time your writing gets better. I can speak from experience because if you were to compare some of my writing from Middle School to my writing now (Story wise that is) There is a HUGE difference. You can definitely see the maturity and growth of my writing. I think this idea fits in with Story ideas in general. I believe, looking at all of my story ideas, putting them together from 1st to recent, i can definitely say that my first idea for a story won't be written anytime soon (I wonder how my 12 year old self would have reacted if she found out all that i have learned as a writer up to now- i think she might be even more lost then what she was to begin with)


In other words, i think the more time you spend with your idea, truly savoring it and letting it sink in your mind, it becomes better and when i say this i mean actually giving your mind a chance to imagine and imagine and take note of things that can fall into place with your story (I hope you understand what i mean)And this can be hard because out of nowhere you become blessed with new ideas for other stories or new ideas that fit in with one of your stories, thus leading your mind to play tricks on you and all of a sudden you want to focus on another particular story because you got inspired! Trust me! If you've experienced this then you know how much you love and hate it!


I've been going through all of my files on my external hard drive and reading through many things i have written (actual dialogue, scenes or little notes I've jotted down) And i noticed that there is one particular story that seems to have to a lot files (All of my stories are in separate folders) within it, more then any of my other story folders.


This story is actually a story completely different then any of my other ideas, this wasn't an idea that i came up with from a dream or from something that i saw, it was an idea that was slowly developing within my mind for 2 years, about a subject that i don't really find written about in books or used as the theme of the story. During these past 2 years, I've managed to lay out the ENTIRE story, from start to finish. I know the plot, characters and scenes to fill in the gaps. One reason why this idea is very different then my other ideas, is that this is the first attempt i make at writing in 1st Person. All of my other stories are narrated by 3rd person.


I kept thinking about this story today (Well in reality i've been thinking about it for 2 years, probably almost every single day- no lie) and i read a particular page i had written and i realized that story has potential to grow some more- right there another idea struck me that could fit within this story. I think that this story...might be the one that i can actually finish! That i can actually write! (I don't intend to make it sound like a Eureka moment or that i saw the light!)


To Be Continued...









No comments:

Post a Comment